Cycling is a sport that requires a lot of effort and energy. Because of the heavy exertion and sweating, a huge loss of sugar and water is common.
To keep at it, and continue your exercise, you will have to stay as hydrated as possible. Even when you are traveling on a cycle or are just taking it out, it is important that you keep a water bottle with you.
Remember, you can’t just take any flask or bottle out, there are a lot of things to consider when getting a sports bottle. We see a lot of different, very attractive water carriers at stores. There are so many that may be fragile or leak water.
So, how do you buy the best cycling water bottle yourself?
Well, we looked a few up for you and drew up a list, so you can read on and choose for yourself!
In a Hurry? Check out Our Top Picks of Motorcycle Riding Boots
Our Picks for Best Cycling Water Bottles
We know just how important it is to have the perfect hydrating companion in your basket when you are out cycling. We’ve all been subject to the scorching heat and weakness that follows exercise.
So, here we have ten of the products, their features and more listed down, so you can finally find the best travel water bottle!
1. Iron Flask Sports Water Bottle
- SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE! SPORTS WATER BOTTLE INSULATED: Goodbye sweat! The double wall insulation makes the Iron Flask sweat-free! It keeps your drink COLD for up to 24 hours, and HOT for up to 12 hours. *NOTE: ONLY the 14 Oz, 18 Oz, & 22 Oz fit in cupholders*
- 3 LIDS: YES, Iron Flask comes with THREE different lids. Carabiner Straw Lid with 2 Straws, Flip Lid, and a Stainless Steel Lid! *NOTE: The stainless steel lid is plastic from inside and stainless steel from outside*
- 18/8 PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL: The Iron Flask is made of 18/8 Stainless steel that is 100% BPA free and non-toxic. It will never leave a metal taste or rust. HAND WASH ONLY WITH SOAPY HOT WATER!
- FUNCTIONAL DESIGN: The powder coat exterior finish is a classic. It assures that you stand out with a very durable and elegant bottle. Our logo is now LASER ENGRAVED to assure the highest quality as well.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We guarantee that the high quality Iron Flask bottle will surely please you! If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with the Iron Flask, we will issue you a full refund or an exchange!
This bottle looks very smart, is sturdy and may be the best-insulated water bottle out there. Its double-wall insulation can keep your drink hot or cold for long hours. You will have the option of choosing between three lids, or changing them up, one of them being stainless steel.
The flask itself is of environment-friendly stainless steel, and you need not to worry about it ever rusting. It’s a little high maintenance, and you can only wash it with hot water and soap.
You get a lot of different colors to choose from, each with a nice powder-coated exterior, for good grip. The shape and size are perfect if you are looking for a 1-liter cycling water bottle that can fit right into your bag or basket.
- Good quality stainless steel
- Powder coating
- Three types of lids available
- Not dishwasher safe
2. Simple Modern Summit Water Bottle
This water bottle is perfect if you want to switch up between different lids for various purposes. You get a normal stainless steel lid for everyday use and a flip lid that helps avoid any splashing. You can interchange, whenever needed, depending on the temperature of your drink.
Speaking of temperature, this bottle has vacuum insulation and double walls, so it can help keep your drink hot or cold; however, you want it. Plus, you get a copper coating inside, which gives added insulation, and it is not even toxic!
The great thing is, you get a lot of variation, many colors and patterns to pick from. It has a nice powder coating to help with the grip. One little problem is, the lids may not retain heat as much as you would want them to.
- Lots of variation
- Two different lids
- Copper coating
- Powder coating for firm grip
- Lids allow temperature leakage
3. CamelBak Podium Big Chill Water Bottle
- Double-wall construction keeps water cold twice as long as regular sport bottles
- Large 25 oz. (750ml) water capacity
- Innovative, self-sealing Jet Valve eliminates splatters and spills
- Lightweight, easy-squeeze bottle delivers the right flow to quench your thirst
- Removable nozzle for easy cleaning
Another great Camelbak bottle to take along for the ride, this one will bless you with a spill-free Jet Valve, which will seal itself after every use. This bottle is made with soft, squeezable plastic so that you can control your water intake better.
This may not be dishwasher-friendly, but it does have a re-attachable nozzle, which makes it very easy to clean. It has double walls built inside, to keep the drink cool for hours, on those hot days. But you may not want to rely on it too much, as the temperature control does not last for many hours.
You may also want to steer clear if you hate leaks and a plastic-y scent to your drink. Since it can be squeezed, even the smallest pressure on the bottle makes it leak through the nozzle. Use it with care, or don’t use it at all.
- Squeezable bottle
- Jet Valve for fewer spills
- Removable nozzle
- Double-wall for temperature control
- Insulation is unimpressive
- Leaks from the start
4. Hydro Flask Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Sports Water Bottle
- Newly produced Hydro Flasks do not feature a registered trademark symbol next to the logo
- Keeps beverages cold up to 24 hours and hot up to 12 hours when using the lid
- BPA-free and phthalate-free; 18/8 food-grade stainless steel
- Comes with a Straw Cap to help reduce spills; lid not leakproof
- Lifetime warranty
Our first pick features a non-toxic, BPA-free build, as well as a slip-free grip, which will endure, even after a very sweaty workout. Added to that, you get a premium Tempshield insulation and hours-long temperature control.
This bottle is the right size to fit in your bag, bicycle basket, etc. so, you can carry it around wherever, with perfect ease. Certain bottles are just not the right type to make drinking from them comfortable. You won’t have that trouble with this one, though. Its wide-mouthed straw lid makes it easy to use, avoiding any spillage.
The price is quite reasonable for a flask with such features, and you will get a wide range of colors to choose from. However, you may want to be a little careful while buying these because some are known to have slightly faulty lids. Beware of some leakage, especially if you are planning to carry it in a bag.
- Comfortable size
- Easy-to-use straw lid
- Non-toxic, with a slip-free grip
- Varying colors
- The faulty lid at times
- Runs the risk of leaking
5. Contigo AUTOSPOUT
- One-handed drinking with the push of a button and no lids to remove or lose
- Leak-proof lid when closed for on-the-go convenience
- Button lock prevents unintended pressing of the AUTOSPOUT button for added peace of mind
- Protective spout cover keeps out dirt and germs for cleaner drinking
- Clip-on handle attaches to bags, key rings, and more for easy carrying
If you want something straightforward to use on the go, pick this water bottle. You can safely say, it is the best travel water bottle out there. This one comes with a handle that can be attached to bags, cycles, whatever you want. So you can carry it in your backpack, or keep it somewhere more close at hand.
Say you are traveling or cycling, and you can only use one hand. You won’t have to stop what you are doing! This bottle comes with a lock button on the lid, which you can press and access your drink. Be gentle though; the button may get jammed over time, which will ultimately kill its purpose.
But the lid itself has a seal which keeps the liquids from leaking. There is also a protective spout, to keep away germs and bacteria.
You only get three colors for this one but judging by the price and functionality of this bottle; it’s not much of an issue. You may want to steer clear of carrying hot drinks in this though, as it does not have much insulation.
- Lock button for ease of use
- Handle to attach to bags and cycles
- The sealed lid to avoid leakage
- No insulation
- The button may get jammed
6. Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle
- Recyclable, reusable, BPA- and Phthalate-free LDPE (Low-Density Polyethylene) plastic
- Dual-wall construction keeps liquids cool for more than twice as long as a single-wall bottle
- Removable valve for easy cleaning
- Handy removable carrying strap
- Dishwasher and freezer safe
This thermal water bottle is quite cheap, with a lot of variation in patterns. This one has a dependable vacuum insulation system and double walls. This helps keep retain the temperature of your drink for hours at a time.
It is dishwasher-safe and built with BPA-free plastic. If you want cool cycling water bottles that are also friendly to the environment, this may be it. It also has a wide mouth which promotes ease of use.
It is quite impressive, and not too expensive either. That’s welcome news if you are shopping on a budget. So, you can happily pick out one or two, in a pattern and color you prefer. But do remember, these bottles may not last so long. After a while, the lids get a little leaky.
- A good thermal bottle
- Lots of different options to pick from
- Not durable in the long run
7. CamelBak Eddy Water Bottle
- Enjoy spill-proof sipping at work or on the trail with the 25 fl. oz. CamelBak eddy water bottle
- Redesigned cap and Big Bite valve provide faster flow than previous versions; just bite and sip, and your beverage flows through the valve
- Dishwasher-safe, durable, BPA-free & BPS-free
- Carry the integrated handle in the crook of a finger, or connect it to a pack or waist belt with a small carabiner (not included)
- CamelBak Got Your Bak Guarantee: If we build it, we'll Bak it with our lifetime guarantee
You can always rely on this Camelback cycling water bottle to suit your needs. If you’re looking for a bike water bottle with holder, you will love this. The small handle at the top of the bottle can be used to attach it to bikes, bags, belts, etc. So, you will have a bottle that does not take up much space at all.
This bottle has a Big Bite valve and spill-proof mouth, which makes it the ideal for anyone who is traveling, stationary or just working out. It is BPA and BPS-free, dishwasher safe, but if you are looking for a bottle that can carry your hot and cold drinks, you may want to move along.
It does not have a thermos, no temperature control at all. So, you will get a pretty basic bottle, one you can carry with anything, anywhere. But remember to use it with care. These may not be as durable, and there is a chance you’ll be pestered by leaks, after a while.
- BPA and BPS-free
- Comes with a handle
- No thermal control
- May leak over time
8. Contigo AUTOSEAL Chill Stainless Steel Water Bottle
Lots of people prefer an excellent stainless steel cycling water bottle. This is especially great if you want to keep your drink cool for a long time. The metal will make sure of that.
Plus, it boasts the Thermalock double-wall vacuum insulation, so if you want to preserve the temperature of your drink for a good amount of time, you definitely can.
It’s a pretty handy water bottle, as it can be cleaned in a dishwasher, and comes with a handle for easy transportation. You won’t have to worry about spilling your drink, thanks to its Autoseal technology.
This is a bottle that keeps itself germ-free for long but doesn’t get too dependent; all the features won’t last you a lifetime. It does last for a short period, but while it does, it’s pretty great.
- Stainless steel exterior
- Vacuum insulation
- Autoseal to avoid spillage
- Handle for bags and belts
- Short lifespan
9. Contigo AUTOSPOUT Straw Addison Water Bottle
- 100 percent BPA free; 24oz water bottle is made out of Tritan, which provides high impact resistance and won't stain or retain odors
- Top rack dishwasher safe
- Sleek design fits car cup holders for travel
- Wide opening fits ice cubes
- Spout shield covers silicone drink spout, keeping it clean and protected when not in use
If you are afraid of that plastic-y smell and want to avoid it, you could go for this bottle made of Tritan, which does not stain, smell, and resists impacts. You get a silicone spout to drink from, but you can always remove it for cleaning. The mouth itself is wide enough to pour drinks without spilling, and you will even have enough space for ice.
It’s not the best bottle to get if you want something that will retain heat, but at least it is top-rack dishwasher-safe. The size and design prove that this was made with cup holders in mind. So, it will fit your bag, bottle holders, baskets, etc.
Otherwise durable, you may want to still be careful during use, as the gasket of this bottle may break. If it does, you won’t find replacements, so you will be forced to buy a new one.
- Wide mouth to fit ice in
- The spout is covered
- Tritan material
- The gasket may break
10. CamelBak Chute 1L Water Bottle
This Camelbak water bottle was made with sports fans in mind. First of all, it is made with Tritan Copolyester, a material that is very durable and resistant to big impacts. Plus, even though it is a 1-liter bottle, you can carry it comfortably because of the handle on its lid.
It has an angled spout for ease of use, which can be covered with a cap. This avoids any spills but ensures a maximum flow of water. It is the perfect water bottle for when you are on the move.
You can tell by the touch and feel of this product, that it is made with high-quality materials. However, the lids may sometimes be a little faulty, so you could end up with a bottle that leaks. Not optimum, especially if you want to carry it around in a bag.
- Tritan Copolyester material
- Durable and impact resistant
- Looks cool and smart
- Handle makes it easy to carry
- Angled spout
- Protective cap keeps germs away
- It may leak at times
Buyers’ Guide to Choosing the Right One
Now, you may be thinking that knowing which of these ranked as the best cycling water bottle 2018, is great but how do you find one that is specifically great for you? What features do you look for? How do you know if you can trust all that these brands claim?
Here’s how we can help you in this department. We researched for you, so we will know exactly what to look for when buying a bottle, and why. You will also understand better why some bottles will suit you, while others will not. Thus, you will be successful in making the perfect decision.
Shape and Size
You may think these are the least important features to consider, but they are very necessary. First of all, you must find a bottle that will fit whatever you bag, holder or bicycle basket you want to carry it in.
You may want to get a bottle that can carry a lot of water in one go. But you must remember that too big a bottle will not be comfortable to use.
The shape is very important too. Sleek bottles look cool and expensive, but for some people, wider ones will work best. If you are someone who likes to add a lot of ice to their drinks, you may want to get one with a wider mouth.
This is something you definitely must look into when buying a water bottle. Decide if you need an insulated bottle; the ones without may cost less. If you tend to carry around a lot of cold or hot drinks, find a bottle with vacuum insulation and double walls. Make sure it works, before impulsively buying a bottle.
You may want to get the best stainless steel water bottle or a perfect Tritan one. These are both very durable and sturdy materials, which you can happily rely on. If you are conscious of environmental damage, look for one that is BPA and BPS-free.
Lids and Spouts
For someone who cycles or is on the road a lot, you want a bottle that will not leak or spill. To be on the safe side, find a bottle with different types of lids. You can also rely on angled spouts, which do decrease the risks of spilling.
Tips for Cleaning the Water Bottles
Remember that not all bottles are supported by dishwashers. Some are a little tough to clean because of the materials they are made of. Find out if you can put your bottle in the dishwasher; normally, you can.
- If not, you will want to take a bit of special care for your bottle. If it is made of plastic, do not use excessively hot water to wash it.
- Usually, lukewarm water and some dish soap will do the trick. DO NOT use steel wool to clean your bottles, as that will ruin any powder coating, or leave scratches all over the plastic.
- Bottles are easy to clean, just do it often with a bottle brush. Do not use very harsh cleaners, as different materials may react or be damaged by them.
Frequently Asked Questions
If my bottle starts to leak, should I try changing the lid?
Yes, if your bottle came with multiple lids, you can try changing them up, and your problem may be solved. If you do not have extra lids, there is not much you can do.
How do I clean a water bottle made with Tritan Copolyester?
Check the labels to see if the bottle is safe for dishwashers or not. If it is not, wash it with lukewarm water and a mild detergent.
Do these come with bottle holders?
No, they do not. Some have handles on the lids for you to carry comfortably and many will fit standard bottle holders.
Can they all fit into bicycle baskets?
Yes. Most of these come in different sizes, so even if you don’t have a standard bicycle basket, with a little research, you can find one that fits perfectly.
A water bottle is not tough to find. They are everywhere. But finding the right one, with the best reviews, is a tough job. Now, you can read through and find the one that suits your needs, that you will love for sure. Whether you want a stainless steel bottle, the best-filtered water bottle, or one made with BPA-free plastic, you’ll know where to look.
Now, if you have even a little bit of confusion, you can always look through and find something good. Plus, shopping for the best cycling water bottle will be easy as you will know exactly which features to go for.