Once upon a time, buying a special lubricant simply for a motorcycle’s chain was a concept that induced amazement in men. People just used the grease or lube they put on their cars if they encountered any trouble with their bike’s chain. But now, times have changed.
Now, special chain lubes meant only for bikes are produced suiting the rider’s style, his geographical region and more specifically a lube specially catered to serve bikes.
You have come to just the right place because this article will guide you through the best motorcycle chain lube available in the market, whether you are a new or an old rider. So let’s dive in!
Benefits of Using Chain Lube
For a smooth and comfortable ride, your bike’s chains need to be in perfect shape. The best remedy to increase the longevity of this part of your bike is to use a lubricant. Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of using it:
Metals tend to wear out pretty fast due to constant friction. Chains are not lubricated dry out, and the lack of moisture often increases the intensity of the friction. Hence, using lube helps to keep it smooth and oily and thus, prevents any damage.
Protection from Dirt
It is not an unknown fact that motorbike chains tend to get dirty very easily due to the rough terrain bikers often like to travel through. But you might be surprised to know that the best motorcycle chain wax comes with dust resistant features too. So, using lube will not only protect the chain from wearing out but will also ensure its cleanliness.
Saves You from Spending Extra Money
What using a lube does is, it prevents the metal chains from corroding. This means you don’t have to spend a fortune on getting new chains and replacing the old corroded ones.
Motorbike chains are made of metals that tend to form rust. Basic chemistry tells us that as soon metal comes in contact with air and moisture, rust will inevitably form on it. However, using lube will prevent that by creating an extra coating over the metal and thus blocking out direct contact between the metal and air.
Types of Lubes
When you hear lubricants, you must picture something oily or greasy. But bike lubes are available in two different types, and you have the freedom to choose one according to your preference.
1. Wax or Paste
This kind of formulas usually has an oily or paste-like texture that sticks to your hands. If you don’t mind getting your hands messy and want to ensure the best application of lubricant over your chains, then you should go for this particular type.
Apart from the convenience of application, make sure to check what type of chain your bike has. Usually, specific chains are meant for a specific type of lubes, so what type works better can only be determined by the type of chain you got.
2. Aerosol or Spray
Yes, you read it right. The chain lubes available in spray bottles as well. This is a holy grail for those who hate to have dirty and greasy hands. Modern motorcycle maintainers love the spray type as it facilitates easy application.
Although this type is rapid and effective, its formula is not suited for tires, rubbers, and leather. So while applying it, you have to be careful so that it does not come in contact with other parts.
Our Top Picks For The Best Motorcycle Chain Lube
Now that you know why should use a chain lube and its variants, let’s move on to our main topic today. So here are the top picks for the best motorcycle chain lube that we liked the best;
1. Maxima 74908 Chain Wax
- Maxima Chain Wax is a superior power spray lubricant designed for all chain care needs
- It's special Para-Film formula creates a waxy film similar to Cosmoline, offering long term protection especially in water and high humidity environments
- Maxima Chain Wax is formulated with heavy duty, anti-wear, and extreme pressure additives that provide superior lubrication for all chains, cables, and sprockets
- Maxima Chain Wax penetrates deeply, lubricating non accessible areas, reducing chain stretch and wear
- Chain Wax is simply the best choice for all chain and cable care needs
The Maxima Chain wax mainly comes as a stray but has a liquid and wax-like texture which gives it the properties of both the two types of lubes available in the market. Although this is a premium product and mainly targeted towards the racing industry, it can be used by regular bikers as well.
Its excellent features enable it to give a top-notch finishing. If you are mainly living in a humid region, then this lube will give you the perfect protection against continuous heat and rain. Moreover, the product also ensures dirt resistance.
The lube is mainly made of a paraffin-based formula, which is also known as parafilm. The parafilm comes in a spray bottle which eases the method of application. Additionally, the wax-like texture helps it to cling to the metal of the chain and penetrate deep within to provide maximum protection.
If you use X, Z or O-ring chains, then this is the lube for you. It is specially customized to suit these three types, but it can be used on all types of chains. It also protects your sprocket. Due to its premium quality, it can be a bit higher on the price spectrum, but it is worth the deal.
- Protects water
- Has the advantages of both a spray and wax lube
- Provides long-lasting protection
- Prevents rust
- Can easily catch fire
2. WD-40 Bike Chain Lube
- ALL CONDITIONS CHAIN LUBE. Apply this lubricant to your bike chain for high-performing lubrication for dry, wet, or varying conditions. The fast and easy to use formula helps prevent squeaks and extends the life of your chain
- INHIBITS CHAIN CORROSION. They say a clean bike is a fast bike. WD-40 BIKE All Conditions Chain Lube contains corrosion inhibitors for long-term optimal chain performance
- NO-WAX FORMULA. WD-40 All Conditions Chain Lube prevents friction damage and helps extend chain life for your bike. The no-wax formula will not build up inside chain links and drivetrain. Ride with chains you can trust in both dry and wet conditions
- RIDE WITH CONFIDENCE. WD-40 BIKE has undergone extensive testing at the hands of internal and 3rd party scientists, bicycle retailers, and professional mechanics. Experience the difference of a professional grade formula
- COMMUNITY APPROVED. WD-40 BIKE sets up hands-on wash stations at local bike events around the globe. They visit and set up shop while providing riders of all levels an opportunity to engage with each product for essential bike maintenance
Don’t want to go through the hassle of buying a lube suited for specific weather conditions? Then look no more. The WD-40 Chain lube is suited for all types of weather, rain or shine, dry or humid. No matter where in the world you live, this will work just fine and serve the purpose.
It has a special formula which is nothing like the regular wax one available in the store. This unique formula provides parallel resistance against rust and corrosion, and thus increases the longevity of your chain. And the absence of wax like formula prevents oily build up in other parts of your bike.
Other than protecting your hand from getting messy, this lube will also protect your bike chain from getting wet and dirty. The dirt-resistant feature will keep it nice and clean, and you can enjoy a good bike ride without any trouble of replacing the chain again and again.
The product is specifically suited for bikes. So if you love bikes, but hate spending a lot of time behind lube selection, go for this one. It can provide fulfilling bike performance for professional racers and regular bike riders alike. Moreover, it is conveniently priced to suit your needs.
- Suitable for all kinds of weather conditions
- Can serve both racers and regular riders
- No wax formula
- Made with environmentally friendly ingredients
- Ensures long use of chain
- Can get washed off in rain
- Inconsistent performance
3. Finish Line Wet Bicycle Chain Lube
- A wet-style lube that goes on wet and stays wet, for maximum performance in wet weather and over long distances
- For Hi-Torque Pedaling over Ultra-Long Distances
- Totally Repels Water
This particular product is for those who don’t like visiting the store frequently to buy resupplies of bike maintenance products. It comes in a 1-gallon jug, so you don’t have to worry about getting a refill for a good amount of time. However, unlike the above-mentioned bike lubes, this one can be difficult to apply.
As the finish line chain lube does not come in a spray bottle, you have to apply it by hand. So be careful to use it and wash your hands properly after application. Make sure to pour the lube on the chain instead of wasting it on other parts.
The name says it all about its most attractive feature. This lube provides the finest protection against water molecules. Its texture is wet, and it is meant for use in wet conditions. No matter how many puddles your bike rides through or how much it rains, by using this lube, you can relax that your chain won’t get damaged.
The lube is particularly meant for bikes that travel long distances. If you often use your bike to go on a trip to, then this lube will provide you the maximum protection. It is designed to withstand long travels.
- Comes in a 1-gallon jug
- Provides perfect protection against water
- Long lasting
- Rust resistant
- The formula contains non-toxic oils
- The application is difficult due to the absence of spray bottle
- Can get messy if not properly poured over the chain
4. DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Dry Self-Cleaning Lubricant
- No fling-off and O-Ring Safe
- Dirt-resistant dry lubricant
- Contains Teflon and Moly for wear protection
- Water resistant and Non-staining
If you are looking for a cheap lubricant, then the dupont chain lube should be your choice. This one is a life saver for those who don’t have a high budget for bike maintenance but still want to ensure an extended life for their bike chains. Although it suits all types of bike chains, it is specifically made to serve the O ring chains.
The basic formula is wax based which increases the life length of your bike chain by 5 times. It is also suitable to use on sprockets which is an additional benefit. Not just chains, it can be used on cables too. Thus at a low price, you are getting a lot of profit.
As the name goes, the lube contains Teflon and molybdenum in it. This ensures protection against rust and friction. It eliminates all kinds of fling issues. Moreover, it can be used in any kind of weather due to its dust and water resistant properties.
Due to its deep penetration formula, the chain won’t stretch and function smoothly. You can easily apply it by using its spray bottle. Moreover, it can withstand extremely high temperatures.
- The inclusion of Teflon and molybdenum
- Cheap and effective
- Has the ability to self-clean
- Eliminates fling issues
- Very effectively
- prevents dirt
- The tube is not firmly attached to the bottle
5. Maxima 70-749203-3PK Chain
- 3 Pack Contains: Maxima Clean Up 15.5 ounce, Maxima Multi Purpose Penetrant Lube 14.5 ounce and Maxima Chain Wax 13.5 ounce
- Maxima Clean Up is a heavy duty, emulsion type cleaner designed to thoroughly clean chains without harming rubber O-rings or metal surfaces
- Maxima Multi Purpose Penetrant Lube is a superior, all purpose penetrating lube that displaces water and provides excellent rust and corrosion protection
- Maxima Chain Wax is formulated with heavy duty, anti-wear, and extreme pressure additives that provide superior lubrication for all chains, cables, and sprockets
- Its special PARAFILM formula creates a waxy film similar to Cosmoline, offering long term protection especially in water and high humidity environments
If you want to have multiple products at a lower price, you should buy this combo. This combo contains three types of lube products, namely the chain wax, the penetrant lube, and the clean-up lube. Each of the three has their special features and depending on your need; you can use either.
As you know it, rust forms when metal comes in contact with water. So the penetrant lube provides you the perfect protection against water molecules. When the weather is rainy, or you are planning to travel on a wet day, use the penetrant formula to prevent rusting and consecutively, long-lasting performance of the chain.
Now, the chain wax should be used when you want a multi-purpose lube that can be applied to cables and sprockets along with your chain. This one comes with a wax-based formula which eliminates the chances of corrosion due to friction. This wax-based ingredient is known as paraffin.
Last but not least, the chain clean up product is specifically meant for heavy duty and rough use. If you are in a hurry, use this one as it does not harm rubber and can emulsify. So buying this combo will give you the power of three at a convenient price.
- Provides strong protection against dirt
- Water resistant
- Prevents wearing out
- Rust and corrosion prevention
- Three products in one combo at a convenient price
- For those wanting one lube only, this combo is unattractive
- Possibility to catch fire
6. Motul M/C Care Chain Paste
- Excellent for road and kart use
- Very low rolling resistance for more power
- Compatible with o-ring, x-ring and z-ring chain
- Brush applicator
- White in color
The next one on our list is a chain lube of extremely high quality. The product is a paste based product. Therefore, it provides maximum protection against friction, thus preventing any kind of corrosion. It spreads evenly on the chain and prevents wastage, which can happen in case of spray bottle lubes.
This lube repels fling issues due to which, the chain rolls less but provides more power to the wheels. Thus, you get a smooth and superior bike performance. It is tailor-made for road and cart use. If you are not a fan of spray bottles, this particular lube is the best amongst the paste ones.
The paste is thick and whitecolour. The white colored cloudy texture is only visible during application but soon disappears after a few seconds of coming in contact with the chain.
Another important feature of this lube is it can be applied to all kinds of bike chains. Moreover, it comes with a brush applicator. So using the brush, you can evenly spread out the lube on the chain and prevent the chance of missing out any areas.
- It comes with a brush
- The thick paste-like texture that can be applied evenly
- The brush is helpful for evenly spreading the lube
- Prevents corrosion well
- Suitable for all chain types
- The absence of spray bottle can cause some users a hard time in learning its application
- The brush, if not correctly used, can create a mess
7. Motul M/C Care Factory Line Chain Lube, 9.3oz
- Specifically developed for road racing
- Compatible for o-ring, x-ring and z-ring chain
- Not recommended for off road use
- Milky in color
This product belongs to Motul as well. This one, like the first product of the list, is a premium range. Which means its target users are race bikers, and bikes meant to be used in racing tracks. Hence, it provides splendid protection against friction and thus prevents corrosion.
Regular users can use this lube too because it enables the chain to use the power of the engine up to the maximum level. Therefore, it lasts for a long time and ensures superior bike performance. And good news for the spray lovers is that this super-efficient lube comes in an aerosol bottle.
An excellent and unique feature of this product is its cloudy texture when sprayed. The white colored cloudy texture is only visible during application but soon disappears after a few seconds of coming in contact with the chain. The advantage of this feature is, while applying the lube, you won’t miss out any areas as the lube is not transparent.
Another important feature of this lube is it can be applied to all kinds of bike chains. Moreover, it contains a special boron tech formula. This formula reduces fling issues and ensures smoother rolling.
- Ensures maximum protection against corrosion
- Milky texture ensures proper application
- Comes in a spray bottle
- The lube is of premium quality
- Suitable for all chain types
- Does not provide strong resistance to dust and water
- The absence of brush applicator
Before You Buy, What to Look For
Now that you know the best lube available in the market for your bike chain, you need to know what features must be present in a lubricant for it to suit the type of chain you have.
Considering one’s location, chain type, and some other factors, specific lubes are suitable for specific people. So the factors you need to take into consideration while making a choice are;
No Fling Issues
The terminological meaning of the word fling is thrown or hurled forcefully. And some lubes might have this issue. So what does this mean?
Well when you are riding your bike in full speed, and suddenly you look through the rear view mirror, you see splatters of lube flung into the air as you move.
Besides creating a mess on the road, this issue can cause an inconvenience for the vehicles behind you. And most importantly, the whole purpose of using lube is left unserved. Therefore choose a lube that does not fling.
Convenient Method of Application
Nobody likes to spend hours trying to clean and apply lube on their bike chains. The lubes that are oily and messy take a long time to apply and suck away one’s desire to regularly allocate their precious time on lubing.
So the convenience of application is a must. The quicker the lube can be applied effectively, the easier it is. So look for lubes that come in a spray bottle or have a brush applicator.
Metal, when it comes in contact with water, forms rust on its surface. And rusting reduces the effectiveness of the chain. So what is a good way to prevent that?
Buying a lube that can resist water. The lube you buy should provide an extra layer of coating over the metal, thus blocking rusting. Moreover, this property diminishes the chances of the lube being washed away in the rain.
For people who live in dry areas, buying a lube that prevents dirt is a must. Just like how water is an enemy to your bike chains, dirt is not your friend as well.
This foe, once it accumulates on the chains, prevents easy rolling and thus hinders the smooth movement of the bike. So having a lube that fights the dust is very necessary.
Otherwise, besides being unclean, the chain will wear out pretty fast and you will have to spend a good amount of money in replacing it.
Ensuring Long Lasting Chains
Lastly, go for a lube that prevents corrosion, wearing out and ensures the longevity of your chains.
Easiest Way to Clean Motorcycle Chain
There are plenty of methods one can use to clean up their motorcycle and lube it. But which one’s the easiest?
Often, due to multiple availabilities of options, one might become confused. But to end your troubles, we have discussed the easiest method to clean and lube your bike in the quickest amount of time.
So let’s jump in!
Not to Lube Anything Else
Usually, the ingredients used in a lube don’t gel well with rubber. The tires of the bike, which are made of rubber, if it comes in touch with the lube, might get sticky.
This will create a mess, and the tires won’t roll smoothly. So while applying lube to your chains, make sure you apply it to the chains only and nowhere else. If it mistakenly falls elsewhere, clean it immediately with soap and water.
To prevent that, you can loosen the chains with a needle pile or detach it completely off the bike for you to conveniently apply the lube on it.
Cleaning the Chain Properly
The second step is to clean the chain. Your motorcycle chain must be cleaned with kerosene solution or other specialized chain cleaning products. One tip is to never use any kind of liquid gasoline.
Gasoline, instead of cleaning the chain, creates a bigger mess and causes dirt accumulation.
After rubbing the chains properly with the brush, wipe it away to dry the chain.
Applying the Lube
The most crucial step is applying the lubricant on the chains. If you are using paste lubes, apply thick coating on the chain and then put the chain in a pan or any other cooking utensil to heat it.
Heating the chain will enable the thick lubricant to become thin and penetrate deep into the chain.
After about half an hour, turn off the heat and let the chain cool on a nail. Before heating the chain, make sure that the lube does not contain any material that can potentially cause danger if it comes in contact with heat.
In this last and final step, all you need to do is reattach the chains on its position. Once you are done, you are good to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
How frequently should I lube the chains?
Answer: There are plenty of suggestions available regarding this. But the best way to know when to lube your chains is to see how much dirt and dust has accumulated in it. If it’s too dirty, clean it and apply the lube. Moreover, it is recommended that after every 300 miles of riding, lube should be applied.
Should I choose a spray lube or a paste lube?
Answer: This completely depends on your preference. If you prefer an easy application, a spray lube will be good for you. If you prefer evenly spread application and minimum waste, the paste lube is the one for you.
What is the use of a motorcycle chain lube?
Answer: the chain is a vital part of your bike which can erode pretty easily. So in simple words, to prevent erosion and ensure a smooth ride, a chain lube should be used.
Can engine or other types of oils be used as an alternative to lube?
Answer: The straight forward answer is no. Although other oils will help to clean the chains and provide a smoother rolling, their formulas don’t give them the property to be resistant to water and dust.
What is the quickest way to apply chain lube?
Answer: The quickest method is to lift your bike and just spray the lube over the chains. You can also remove the chains and apply the spray on them.
Now that you know what are the best motorcycle chain lube, and why it is so important to use it, there should be no confusion left as to which should be the most effective choice for your bike chains.
So just go through our top picks and purchase the one you find the most suitable.